> STARTS Ecosystem
Community Engagement to support the European Commission STARTS (Science, Technology & the Arts) initiative.
STARTS an initiative of the European Commission, launched in 2016 under the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme as a follow-up to the ICT & Art Connect activities since 2012. Its purpose is to support collaborations between artists, scientists, engineers and researchers to develop more creative, inclusive, and sustainable technologies.
April 2019 – November 2021
- Ana Solange Leal – Project Coordinator / Area Manager, INOVA+
- Aurelia Delater – Senior Project Manager, INOVA+
- Tania Moreira – Project Manager, INOVA+
- Dr Camille Baker – Principal Investigator for UCA
- Lucy Bunnell – Research Manager, UCA
- Veronika Leibel – Director of European Cooperation, ARS Electronica
- Kristina Maurer – Senior Producer European Cooperation, ARS Electronica
- Hughes Vinet – Director of Innovation & Research Resouces, IRCAM
- Guillaume Pellerin – Web Services Manager, IRCAM
- Marie Albert – Head of EU Projects, LFTGP
- Aneffel Kadik – Officer for EU Projects, LFTGP
- Christoph de Jaeger – Founder & Director, Gluon
- Ramona Van Gansbeke – Project Manager Art & Research
STARTS (Science + Technology + Arts) -is about thinking out-of-the-box and building bridges between these three fields. With disruptive methods of exploration and an accurate critical eye on the use of technology, artists decisively raise awareness of the societal challenges and global concerns we are facing. STARTS is driven by the conviction that science and technology combined with an artistic viewpoint also open valuable perspectives for research and business, through a holistic and human-centered approach.
Co-creation processes between dancers, visual artists, painters, designers, and engineers, developers, sociologists, physicists, or machine learning specialists lead to ground-breaking explorations on our current social and economic challenges. They bring attention to climate change, cyber-security, human and robots interactions, artificial intelligence. Through their projects, STARTS teams work on new concepts and novel products that have the power to shape open-minded, sustainable and ethical technologies for a more inclusive society.
STARTS Pillars include STARTS Residencies, STARTS Prize, STARTS Lighthouses (WEAR Sustain, RE-Fream and MINDspaces), STARTS Regional Centres and STARTS Academy.
STARTS is an initiative of the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.It was launched in 2015, following up the findings of previous activities funded by the European Commission, namely ICT&Art 2012, FET-ART, ICT ART CONNECT 2013 and ICT ART CONNECT study, whose results demonstrated the worldwide emergence of communities of hybrid collaborations among science, technology and arts and their relevance.
- UCA / University for the Creative Arts
- ARS Electronica
- IRCAM / Institut de Recherche et de Coordination Acoustique/Musique
- La French Tech Grande Provence / LFTGP
- Gluon / Platform for Art, Science & Technology
> Budget / Funding
European Commission, EU Horizon 2020 ICT-32-2018-2, Community Support Action, STARTS ecosystem: Support to STARTS Community and Lighthouse Projects through the creation of an ecosystem for hybrid talent, Grant ID: 824950 (€999,918.75 total across all partners/€160,875.00 for UCA)
> Outcomes / Impact
STARTS Ecosystem has built an umbrella web platform to bring the Arts and Technology/Science community together, as well as launching in-person and online events and exhibitions to showcase STARTS funded collaboration teams and projects around Europe over the duration of the project and ongoing.
It is hoped that this platform will continue to be maintained after the end of the project in 2021 by future STARTS family projects.
> My Role
I was the leader of Work Package 1 (WP1) Community Motivation and Online Platform, whose job was to enliven the STARTS Family and the greater related European community and to join the platform to participate in our many activities online and in person. I am also a participant of WP4 STARTS IN Motion supporting project progression of previously funded project teams, as well WP2 which is about developing the Collaboration Toolkit and Engagement of the community through events online and offline which I have been leader in.
1 thought on “STARTS Ecosystem”
Comments are closed.